Monday, August 30, 2010
The following day (yesterday), I left the nest boxes blocked off . Ruby and Ingrid made a makeshift nest in the corner to lay their eggs which I quickly removed so Clara didn't take up residence.
Today, Ingrid met me at the door of the henhouse and looked at me, then the nest box, then back at me, then the nest box. Ok, I got the message. I removed the shipping box from Ingrid's nest box (which Clara never uses) so that she and Ruby had a spot for their eggs. So far so good.
Clara took up to roost with the rest of the girls tonight. Clara's nest box will remain blocked for a couple more days until I'm sure the broody has passed. It looks like she's well on her way to a full recovery!
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Those are words I never thought I'd hear myself saying, but it's true. She's a good cat. She comes running when I ring a bell, yep, I trained her. She learned how to use the cat door. She's smart enough to head back into the porch when she hears the coyotes calling. And this picture needs no explanation...
My job is done here...
Thursday, August 26, 2010
After much anticipation (and daily squawking for almost 2 weeks), Ingrid delivered her first egg today. True to Ingrid's style, it's the very petite white one on the far right in the photo next to Ruby's white egg and Clara's brown egg for comparison.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Sunday, August 15, 2010
A new hen in a nest box is now an exciting time in the henhouse, unlike the shear horror they seemed to have when Clara produced the first egg! No one would get near the henhouse for days. Now, everyone comes in and paces around waiting for the "big event".
I'm sure she'll be delivering soon... stay tuned!
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
I've fallen out of love with Victor. It's been 2 nights and his traps are not working for me. But seriously, what am I supposed to use to lure a rat/mouse into a spooky looking trap with all these gorgeous fruits and veggies dangling out in the open?
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Friday, August 6, 2010
Two watermelon vines have taken off and are expanding rapidly. One has started to show fruit. They're about an inch and a half long. Very exciting!
The one cucumber vine that survived now has at least 7 good sized cuks in progress. Plenty for Joe with some left over to share with the neighbors.
Earlier this week I went to harvest the first red bell pepper. It looked beautiful from above. But when I cut it, it had a hole in the bottom and had started to shrivel. Bummer! Today, I decided to harvest the red bell pepper that had just started to turn color. I needed a green pepper for our dinner recipe and after the tomato massacre; I didn't want to risk losing another pepper to critters.