Saturday, May 1, 2010

Cherries, grapes, and ladybugs

For the first time we have baby cherries fruit on our mini cherry tree! Some seemed little dehydrated and were turning brown, so I removed them. Right now, they are about the size of a raisin. I'll adjust the sprinklers tomorrow and check the moisture level more frequently so they stay plump and happy. I'd love to have some fresh cherries this year.

Joe loves growing grapes. Shortly after we moved here he planted 2 grape vines, a red and a green. We've had grapes every year but last year. We didn't cover them before the birds got to them and I think the red vine just took the year off and didn't produce at all. This year looks like it's going to be a bumper crop. There are tons of tiny little bunches on both vines. Each little round bunch is about the size of a raisin.

As you can see, ladybug is hard at work keeping things pest free. I had a dickens of a time getting the camera to focus on her because she's so tiny and moves faster than the autofocus on my little point-and-shoot could keep up! Here she's traveling along one of the grapevine support wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment