Monday, April 12, 2010

Henhouse & Tractor

I finally finished the chicken tractor and positioned in next to the henhouse. It's ready for use. Probably one more week.

I know the whole thing isn't much to look at, but I must say, I'm especially proud of it. The goal was to use as much recycled material as possible. The base of the henhouse is a shipping crate. All of the other wood is recycled either from around the house or from shipping pallets. I did have to buy the hardware cloth, pvc, roofing panels, and couple of misc small items. But other than that, it was either items already on hand or recycled. I think I spent about $150 on the whole chicken house and pen.

I put handles on the sides of the tractor so that it will be easy to move around the hillside and a hardware wire "apron" around all the sides to deter digging predators. I can make adjustments if need be. And ultimately, if it doesn't work, I'll build a more permanent pen. But given the chickens talent for consuming greens, I'm hopeful the tractor will work well and they'll help me keep the plants and grasses under control over at least part of the hill.

2 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I'm really in awe of what you were able to do all by yourself. I didn't do anything on my coop - Jay built the entire thing - I just held something still here and there, and picked out the plans and hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement! You're still my cheerleader...

    ReplyDelete