Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chicken feed


The girls are still growing and have adapted to the henhouse without any issue at all. I go out 2-3 times a day to hang fresh greens and wildflowers in their house until it's time to let them out in the run. Whenever I come to the door, they run over and start munching on the bunch of greens even before I can get them hung up!

I still bring them a cup of chicken feed. They alternate between eating the feed and the greens while I'm there. What's so funny is that they have the same food in the henhouse all the time (it's in the container right behind them in the photo) and I see them eating out of it. I'm not really sure what the big attraction with eating out of the cup is, but, as you can see from the photo, they run over to do it. Whatever they don't eat out of the cup I toss into the litter so they have something to scratch around for.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad they are adjusting! This is really exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed ours doing this too... if I spread food into the litter for them to peck at they think it is the greatest thing even though it is the same food they have access to all the time. I should try taking a cup out like you do... that might be fun. A few will eat from my hand but it can hurt if they miss and get me instead :-) Your birds are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maddie! I love my girls! Give the hand-feeding a try and let me know how it goes. They will also gather 'round when I bring in greens (tomato leave cuttings or just weeds that I've gathered from the yard). I love when they eat out of my hand or whatever I'm holding. They are usually very gentle.

    ReplyDelete