Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cherry blossoms and wildflowers

Our cherry tree is full of blossoms. It's several years old and the first time that it's ever bloomed. Hopefully we'll have fresh cherries this year!

The hill behind the house is normally just brown with dry grass. But right now, there are lots of tiny little wildflowers blooming. Most are so small you can only see them if you get up close and personal. They're so small, I don't have a camera that can actually get a good photo of them. The whole bloom on most is about a 1/4 inch in diameter. They range in color from pink to lavendar to yellow. And there's some type of grass that has purple/green seed pods.

This is a photo of the one wildflower I was actually able to photograph. The whole bloom is about 1 inch across. I pick 3-4 flowers to include in the bunch of greens that I give the chickens a couple of times a day. They eat the flowers too. I tried to look up what type of flower this is, but I didn't find an exact match. My guess is it's some type of sage or salvia. But if anyone out there knows what it is, I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment