Monday, March 8, 2010

Carrot killer

I always hate having to thin my seedlings. It makes me feel like a murderer. But it’s just part of playing the percentages. Survival of the fittest. If they couldn’t make it in the seed tray, they most likely wouldn’t have made it in the field, and if they did, they probably wouldn’t have been the best producers!

Now, it looks like every carrot and beet seed I planted has sprouted and I get to pick the strongest ones and thin out the weak ones. Fortunately, the chickens like the seedlings so they don't go to waste.

This is my tiny carrot forest...

2 comments:

  1. Yours forest is positively dense compared to the three, yes 3, carrot seeds that sprouted for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to admit that I did dig up about 40-50 of them and transplant them to a different pot before I began the thinning process! The photo was taken AFTER I "thinned out" the herd. I know... I'm going to have to do it again. There are way too many in there and I want a good carrot harvest. The seed packet says to space the plants an inch apart.

    ReplyDelete