Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Start clearing the field


It’s a cool 40 degrees in the morning and the frost has already thawed. Today I planned on clearing the area that we had previously used for the garden. It’s a 10’x15’ plot out behind the back gate at the bottom of a steep hill up the back. We get lots of critters (coyotes, rabbits, quail, mountain lions, raccoons) so we always have to fence the garden unless we want to donate our labors to feeding the wildlife. The plot hasn’t been used in over 2 years so I had our handyman clear out the rotting posts and fencing last year. Boy I sure do miss him now!


So, assess the situation… part of the mountain is spilling onto the garden plot, lots of rocks have magically appeared all over the plot, there are weeds and dried grass all around the plot going to seed, and left over fencing pieces strewn about. Today is a cleanup day.


Since I’m counting this as exercise and I don’t want to be so stiff tomorrow that I can’t move, I set the time allotment to one hour and here’s what I was able to do:


Cleared all the dried mountain brush around the plot, most of the weeds in the plot, turned the soil in ¼ of the plot, and removed all the leftover fencing. That doesn’t sound like much now that I write it down, but the pile of weeds that would fill a garbage can suggest otherwise! Not to mention navigating the steep hill while balancing a garden rake and swinging a hand grass cutter!


About 10 minutes into it, I started heating up and about 20 minutes into it I was sweating like I was doing an aerobics class! Yep, this is going to help me tone back up.


Now I’m no doctor, but I know for a fact that I’ll be sore tomorrow if I don’t do something about it today. If you’re not familiar with Arnica, I’d recommend you get familiar with it and do it quickly! I’ve used it for years whenever I start working in the yard after the winter season and it helps reduce the muscle soreness the next day. I’ll be taking that every hour for the rest of the day… yep, I worked that hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment